🌱 FCPD Investigate Murder-Suicide + Mayors Fitness Challenge
Good morning, everybody! I’m back with your fresh edition of the Vienna Patch newsletter. Keep reading to find out the most important things happening these days in town.
But first, your local weather:
- Thursday: A couple of morning showers. High: 68 Low: 42.
- Friday: Cooler with periods of rain. High: 45 Low: 42.
📢 I’m looking for business owners and marketers in Vienna who want to build awareness, connect with customers and increase sales.
I have a limited number of sponsorships available to introduce our readers to local businesses they need to know. If that’s you, then I invite you to learn more and secure your spot now.
Here are the top three stories today in Vienna:
- The Fairfax County Police Department are investigating a murder-suicide after an elderly couple was found dead in a home on Walker Street on Feb. 28. Police have not released the manner of death or the identities of the man and woman. (WUSA 9)
- The annual Mayors Fitness Challenge, an eight-week friendly competition between three towns, will start on Mar. 18 and end on May 13. The communities compete by logging their exercise and activity minutes. Whichever community has the most activity minutes wins a trophy and bragging rights. Last year in 2022, Vienna won the challenge. Vienna residents, businesses, and town employees can join Team Vienna in the 2023 competition by registering here, participation is free. (Vienna Patch)
- Looking for a way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in Vienna? There are many local musical events celebrating the Irish tradition this month. The Irish-American band “Cherish the Ladies” will have a concert on Mar. 5 at The Barns at Wolf Trap, Seamus Egan concert on Mar. 10 at The Barns at Wolf Trap, Irish traditional band Téada on Mar. 15 at Jammin Java, and the Seán Heely Celtic Band on Mar. 16 at Jammin Java. (Tysons Today)
Today and tomorrow in Vienna:
Thursday, March 2
- Remember all those stray guinea pigs we told you about last week? They’re now available for adoption at the Fairfax County Animal Shelter! (Fairfax County Animal Shelter via Instagram)
- “Make Your Own Shamrock Ring!” at Patrick Henry Library in Vienna for St. Patrick’s Day! On Mar. 4 at 11:00 a.m. in the Meeting Room. (Fairfax County Library System)
- Did you know the first person buried in Arlington National Cemetery was a woman? Don’t miss author Donna Brand discussing her book, “Amazing Women of Arlington : Lives of Adventure, Bravery, Fame and Sacrifice,” at Patrick Henry Library! The “Local Author Donna Brand : Amazing Women of Arlington” event is Mar. 6. (Fairfax County Library System)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Huge Used Book and Media Sale (March 2)
- Reserve Mansion, Mclean Downsizing Online Auction (March 2)
- Color Trends and Setting the Right Mood for your Home (March 3)
- Book and Media Sale! (March 4)
- Master Singers of VA Presents Sing Her Song (March 4)
- The DC Big Flea March 4-5th (March 5)
- Parenting Expert and Author Lynn Lyons Presents: Improving Your Family’s Emotional Health (March 15)
- Add your event
Other featured classifieds:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Thursday. I’ll see you soon!
— Rose Mendez
About me: Rose Mendez is a freelance writer. She is studying English Literature at Hunter College. She loves reading, walking around the city, and coffee!