An picture of a mosquito. The West Nile virus, which is often transmitted to people by way of mosquito chunk, was detected Friday in Cache County. (Shutterstock)
HYDE PARK — The West Nile virus was not too long ago detected in a mosquito pool in Cache County for the primary time this 12 months, officers with the Cache Mosquito Abatement District stated Saturday.
The virus was found Friday from a gaggle of mosquitoes caught west of Logan in the neighborhood of Benson and examined for the virus. The district’s announcement comes a little bit greater than per week after the Utah Department of Health reported that the virus had been found in 114 mosquito pools across Utah this summer. Those confirmed circumstances concerned the Davis, Salt Lake, Summit and Weber/Morgan health districts.
There are nonetheless no confirmed human circumstances of West Nile virus to this point this 12 months. While most individuals do not feel any signs, circumstances can grow to be “quite severe” and even end result in demise, Utah Department of Health vectorborne/zoonotic epidemiologist Hannah Rettler stated final week.
District officers stated in an announcement Saturday that they imagine the Culex mosquitoes — mosquitoes that seem at night time — are those carrying West Nile virus, not the “day-biting” ones. They stated they’ll proceed abatement and surveillance practices, equivalent to utilizing totally different pesticides that focus on grownup mosquitoes or larva from turning into grownup mosquitoes.
In the meantime, the Bear River Health Department supplied tips for residents or anybody touring outside in Cache County to forestall getting the virus.
- Use mosquito repellent with DEET, permethrin, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
- Wear lengthy sleeves and pants between nightfall and daybreak.
- Drain any standing water in yards, equivalent to potted plant trays, pet dishes, rain gutters, buckets, toys or previous tires. Also preserve roof gutters away from particles,
- Clean swimming swimming pools usually and drain them.
- Make positive all display screen doorways and window screens are in good situation so mosquitoes cannot get inside your own home.
- Keep weeds and tall grass lower brief as a result of mosquitoes search for shady locations to relaxation throughout daytime.
More tips and knowledge by the Utah Department of Health can be found here.