United We Sweat equips local fitness enthusiasts with the knowledge and training to teach free or low-cost fitness classes within the county. (Aliah Kimbro — The Morning Journal)
The United Way of Greater Lorain County and partners are aiming to create a network of physical activity through the United We Sweat initiative, which is co-led by Lorain County Public Health.
The groups are launching the first ever Lorain Tour of Fitness Classes throughout June in partnership with local businesses in downtown Lorain.
Other United We Sweat partners include Cleveland Clinic, Lorain County Community College, Lorain County Metro Parks and University Hospitals Avon Health Center.
Ryan Aroney, president and CEO of the United Way of Greater Lorain County, said the program runs year-round.
“We’re trying to break through the barriers of the cost of gym memberships, so we have partnerships with fitness centers that offer free classes to the public,” Aroney said. “The other barrier is accessibility to these classes, so we do a lot of outreach in communities that don’t have a designated fitness center to bring health and wellness opportunities to them.”
A free and unique fitness class will take place at a different location each of the five Wednesdays in June to help people explore new businesses while living a healthy lifestyle.
“We’re focused now in the downtown Lorain area, but we want to do these tours in other places as well,” Aroney said. “It’s a way for us to make a splash and let people know this fitness calendar is available year-round.”
The initiative also equips local exercise enthusiasts with the knowledge and training to create more low-cost fitness opportunities within the county.
Lorain fitness tour organizer Kim Haney, who is founder of SunDog Wellness and Yoga, is teaching the eight instructors alongside Lorain County Community College Professor Lisa Augustine, Ph.D.
“We want these community members to be trained to teach safe classes, no matter what their niche is,” Haney said. “It’s about empowering the community to take charge of our own health destinies.
“I want to be where the people are and bring fitness to as many people as I can.”
Aroney said he’s grateful for Haney spearheading the tour.
“Kim created the vision and legwork to get this going, so we’re appreciative of her doing that,” he said. “Our office is located in downtown Lorain, so we want to see our neighboring businesses do well; we get to promote some businesses and shine a light on what’s already happening downtown.”
Free fitness classes in June:
- June 8 – Pilates from 6 to 6:45 p.m. at Juice Me Juice Bar, 712 Broadway, Lorain
- June 14 – Zumba from 6 to 6:45 pm. at Brass + Bronze Foundry Bar, 639 Broadway, Lorain
- June 14 – Boxing from 5 to 5:30 pm. at Legacy Youth Boxing Club, 3015 Pearl Ave., Lorain,
- June 15 – Yoga, Barre & Reiki Lakeside from 6 to 7 p.m. at Beaver Park Yacht Club, 5968 W. Erie Ave.
- June 17 – Yoga from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Oasis Marina Port Lorain, 301 Lakeside Ave. No. 1, Lorain
- June 21 – Yoga from 6 to 6:45 p.m. at Broadway Mary’s, 939 Broadway, Lorain
- June 21 – Boxing from 5 to 5:30 pm. at Legacy Youth Boxing Club, 3015 Pearl Ave., Lorain
- June 22 – Line Dancing from 6 to 6:45 p.m. at Broadway Mary’s, 939 Broadway, Lorain
- June 22 – Belly Dancing from 6 to 6:45 p.m. at Union Town Provisions, 422 Broadway, Lorain
- June 28 – Yoga from 6 to 6:45 p.m. at JuiceMe Juice Bar, 712 Broadway, Lorain
- June 28 – Boxing from 5 to 5:30 pm. at Legacy Youth Boxing Club, 3015 Pearl Ave., Lorain
- June 29 – BUTI Yoga from 6 to 6:45 p.m. at Union Town Provisions, 422 Broadway, Lorain
For more information on the upcoming session, visit https://unitedwesweat.org/in-person.